I never did understand how the lifts work! Never been around them that much but they do look complicated as hell! Hope you only have a bad switch on yours,---makes things a lot easier to fix after you figure out where its at. Also might check the wiring from control to switches. Could be an loose/broke/corroded wire/connection along the line.
Them big cylinders are hard to handle for sure! Did most of the ones in the Case 580ck backhoe many years ago and it was a job and a half to roll that heave shit around, messy too! LOL!!!
I feel for you doing the van motor!! lol! --- Kinda not much room in them to work. Sis had a little 66 e-100 with a 140 in it BUT the motor sat back far enough it came out from inside the van!! Her 73 e-200 you had to take the whole front end off, bumper and all to get it out! These were all inline 6's and a v-8 would be much harder to get out. I looked at gm vans and backed away from ever buying one! lol!

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."