Originally Posted by Lu47Dan
Originally Posted by JIM
Information on the engine If any one has an old Briggs engine or knows where I can get Parts..OR if any one knows if a flywheel off a newer model would work.

[Linked Image from farm8.staticflickr.com]

[Linked Image from farm8.staticflickr.com]

Jim, I will see if I can find my books on those engines, but IIRC a 14hp has the same flywheel as the 16hp does. There were several families in the I/C model line. 5hp, 8-10hp, 12 - 16hp and then those above.
It has been awhile since I used them, and I do not remember where I put them.

I've been plugging around and can't even find a flywheel listed for that type.. Thought that kinda strange. Thinking about just fabricating a stub shaft like the ones they put on the kohler engines to run the hydrostatic drives like on my old Jacobsen and Cub cadets. Bolts to the flywheel to provide a shaft on that end too. Then just mount a external belt driven alternator or generator to keep the battery charged. Engine runs fine with no issue with the magneto just the darn alternator. battery doesn't last too long when it's feeding the windings. I thought that once you excited a generator it fed it's self. Those welder/ generators Different?

I know a lot about a lot of things BUT I still have a lot to learn.
Life is what you make of it. So, why not make a working machine to make it easier.